Social media is one of the strongest forces that drives the hotel industry today. It plays a key role in the travel experience of consumers, from planning their trip to posting photos, updates and reviews of their holidays. The hospitality industry is heavily dependent on word of mouth and disagreement, and social networking provides the ideal platform for this.
81% of travelers said reviews were important when choosing a hotel.
70% of consumers said that travel reviews had the biggest impact on their buying behavior.
43% of hoteliers believe that social media generates some of the highest returns.
40% of travelers give ratings.
38% of US travelers use social networks to share their travel experiences.
Social sharing has a big influence on travel bookings. From those who used websites like Facebook, Twitter, TripAdvisor, Google+, and LinkedIn to research travel plans:
52% have changed their original plans.
33% have changed their hotel.
10% have changed their resort.
7% have changed their destination.
TripAdvisor for business travelers
83% of respondents usually consult TripAdvisor ratings before booking a hotel.
70% of experienced hotel professionals say that TripAdvisor is # 1 influencing clients.
51% of Facebook fans are more likely to buy the brands they follow or are a fan of.
52% of Facebook users said their friends' photos influenced their holiday choices and travel plans.
79% of Twitter followers recommend a brand after they become followers.
67% of Twitter followers are more likely to buy brands they follow, or be a fan of.
81% of online consumers in the US say they trust information and advice on Pinterest.
20% of all social referrals to commerce sites are from Pinterest.
According to all the information available, the real question is, "Can your hotel afford to maximize your social media presence?"
Here are 7 tips to start your social campaign for hotels:
1. Create social media pages on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Google+. Keep in mind that Google+ likes are the best way to drive search engine optimization.
2. Use your real estate logo for your profile picture.
3. Make sure that you have an attractive, visually appealing title image that distinguishes your property.
4. Make sure your contact information and website address are listed on the page.
5. Be sure to use the "book now" function on Facebook.
6. Post daily on all social media platforms.
7. Only 1 out of 5 jobs should apply.